Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ready for Radiation

Let's get this show on the road!!!  Radiation starts tomorrow...sort of.  I do start tomorrow but the first session is merely a trial run or simulation as they call it.  I will go through all of the motions but the radiation will not be delivered.  They have to make sure that they have everything all set up & programmed correctly.  Thursday will be my first of 33 treatments.
This morning after showering I reorganized my hygiene products as needed for radiation.  My regular Secret deodorant was replaced with Tom's Natural deodorant that contains no aluminum.  I put away my regular body wash and replaced that with a regular bar of Dove soap.  My yummy smelling Bath & Body lotion has been exchanged for Lubriderm Sensitive Skin lotion and Aquaphor Healing Ointment.  It was recommended to use the Lubriderm in the morning & afternoon and then using the Aquaphor at night before bed in the area that will be radiated.  The nurse said that the more you hydrate & care for your skin, the better it will handle the radiation.
Hair update...it is starting to grow a bit!  I am taking a vitamin called Biotin that promotes hair & nail growth.  My goal is to be able to unveil my new hair-do on or before my birthday on May 19th.  Preschool doesn't end until the 2nd week in May and so I know I will probably wait until after that, my preschoolers don't need anymore hair changes from me this year:)

Prayer requests as I begin this next chapter are:
*Safety driving back & forth to Battle Creek everyday of the week
*That the 2 main side effects of radiation (fatigue & skin issues) would be minimal

No comments:

Post a Comment