Tuesday, November 13, 2012

November 13th-Chemo Day 1

Picked up my Mom at 8:30am.  Drove myself to Battle Creek for chemo and ended up driving back too...that was important to me somehow.  I felt slightly nervous at first but my nurse Bill was very nice and informative, he put me right at ease.  My Mom was also there with me of course & we had fun chatting about anything and everything.  Was also able to use the iPad and read.  I started by having a numbing agent put on my port area so it wouldn't hurt when the needle was inserted.  They gave me fluids and then some type of medicine to combat nausea.  Once that was finished I began the chemo drugs.  I am getting two things.  Taxotere was the first one and it took an hour for that one to go through.  Cytoxan was the second drug and this also took one hour.  They brought around sandwiches, applesauce & chips for lunch and I was able to eat some as I was not feeling anything out of the norm at this point.  I saw many other people that came in and out.  One lady wasn't able to eat her lunch as she was too sick.  Another lady had just gotten bad news, her cancer has spread to her liver.  These ladies and the visit I had with my Aunt Barb afterwards serve as a great lesson in perspective.  My Aunt Barb is an amazing woman who has been battling cancer & receiving chemo now for 2 years.  I think I should handle my 4 treatments without complaining!
Started to feel queasy on the way home, tired as well.  I waited to take my Compazine (anti-nausea drug) until after I dropped Lexi off at dance as it can make you really sleepy.  So far I haven't noticed that but I have noticed that I'm not nearly as nauseous as I was-yeahhh!  Dry throat and achy legs are the only other symptoms I notice so far.  This would be a good time to thank everyone for all of the prayers today.  I know I say this a lot but it's true, I can feel them!
Also a big thanks to Selena Reid for preparing dinner and her husband Mike for delivering it!  Very yummy potato soup and breadsticks!

No comments:

Post a Comment