Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Nov. 21-Chemo Day 9

I actually felt quite a bit like my pre-chemo self today!  Lexi had an orthodontist appointment in Ionia, another trip to Meijer (it never ends), errands in town and an appointment in Battle Creek.  I feel really good, just tired.  
A cool side effect for today was floaters in my vision while driving this morning.  Never had this before but my eye doctor says it's called Entoptic Phenomena.  A formal definition is that under suitable conditions light falling on the eye may render visible certain objects within the eye itself.  An informal definition would be that I was seeing my tears or blood cells.  Aforementioned eye doctor is going to do some more research.  It lasted only through my drive to Ionia in the fog:)
Speaking of research, my appointment in Battle Creek today was with a Genetics Counselor.  I ended up having the test done.  This is the purpose:  The test analyzes a specific gene(s) for genetic changes called mutations.  The gene(s) analyzed are associated with specific hereditary cancer syndrome.  The test will help determine if a person has a significantly increased risk of developing certain tumors due to a mutation(s) in a cancer-predisposing gene.  So now I've probably lost you for sure!
I think I mentioned previously in a blog that my Mom has had this same testing done and was found to be negative for any mutations.  There is still a small chance I could be positive but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.  One neat thing I learned is that if I am negative, my family (mom, sister & I) has opportunities to take part in some studies or research.  Because the big question at that point will be; if none of us carry this mutated cancer gene then why did my Grandma, my Aunt, my Mom and now me all have breast cancer?  Things that make you go hmmmm.
Really looking forward to all of the yummy food tomorrow as my stomach is almost all back to normal.  I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Enter into his gates with Thanksgiving and into his courts with praise.  Be thankful to him and bless his name.  For the Lord is good; his mercy everlasting and his truth endures to all generations.  
Psalm 100: 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment