Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Oct. 10-Day 9

Kyle & I met with the oncologist this afternoon.  This is what we found out:
*The CAT scan of my chest shows a spot of concern on the right lower lobe of my left lung.  This may or may not be anything so I am having a PET scan on Oct. 19th to learn more.  Please join me in praying that this spot will just be GONE when they go to look for it!

*He wants me to have genetic testing done on myself to see if I may be positive.  (This would mean that they check to see if you carry a mutated breast cancer gene).  My Mom has already had this testing and was negative.  There is still much that I don't understand about this...can my Mom be negative and me positive?  And if I am negative also....why do we have so much breast cancer in our family?  Don't worry, I'm not expecting you to answer these questions for me:)

*Per Dr. Smiley's (the oncologist) recommendation I have decided to go with a lumpectomy as my surgical option.  This is where only the lump is removed conserving as much of the breast as possible.  I will be calling tomorrow to schedule that procedure and will keep you posted.

*I meet with Dr. Smiley again on November 1st.  This will be after the surgery (hopefully...another prayer request would be that I am able to have the surgery in the next couple of weeks) and will be when we start looking at beginning chemotherapy treatments.  The type & schedule (how often) of treatments will be determined by whether or not any lymph nodes were affected and we're assuming that the spot on my lung will become a factor in that as well (but remember, we're praying that is gone:)

*Radiation treatments will then follow the chemo!  Not much to say about that other than it's a little ways away so we're not gonna worry about that now!

*It was really hard walking into that cancer center today, but gaining all of this knowledge is so helpful to my mind & emotions.  God is so good and I know He's got this!

1 comment: